As I promised myself earlier, I’m back to flashing ROMs on Android devices.
And as the saying goes “Charity begins at Home”, I have decided to flash my HTC One X with the HTC Stock ROM-based Android Revolution HD ROM.
I have read some excellent things about this ROM on the XDA-Developer forums and the fact that I still get to have my beloved HTC SenseUI 5.0 makes it any easy choice for me.
Here are the links to some of the files that need to be downloaded.
- Download ClockworkMod Recovery
- Download Fastboot files (If this link expires, just Google it and you should easily find it for your platform)
- Android Revolution HD ROM
Steps Zero to Three are to be performed once only. Then, going ahead, you just need to install the different ROMs, so Step Four is good enough.
Step Zero : Backup
Always, Always … Always , Backup !!! I can’t stress this enough. Well, unless, you don’t care if you loose all the data on your phone. But even then, maybe you will Flash one ROM today use it and after some time want a new ROM. And then you might have some data that you DO care about. So, please, do yourself a favour and BACKUP !!
First : Unlocking the Bootloader
First things first! Let’s void my warranty (Psst !!! I have already done it a year ago)
But here’s another thing I love about HTC. They allow you to officially unlock the bootloader. Just register yourself with HTCDev.com and they guide you through a step-by-step process of unlocking your bootloader. A certain Mr. Ashish Mundhra has an excellent screenshots based guide of the unlocking process here.
Just one heads up here for HTC One X owners. The “Supported Devices” drop-down on the “Unlocking bootloader” page does not list the HTC One X. In this case, just select “All Other Supported Models”
Second : Installing a modified Recovery image
Since I want to eventually multi-boot my device, I was giving a thought to installing the TWRP recovery rather than the Clockworkmod Recovery, but for some reason, which I can’t remember, I gave up on the idea and decided to go ahead with the Clockworkmod Recovery itself.
I have downloaded the
recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-endeavoru.img and the Fastboot binary for my Mac, i.e., fastboot-mac from the above links.
The installation procedure is pretty standard :
1) Copy the recovery image to the top folder of your Internal Storage. Actually, you can copy it anywhere on the Internal Storage. It’s just that the deeper inside folders you copy, the more cumbersome it will be to select the image later from Recovery mode.
2) Reboot phone into “Fastboot mode” by first switching it off, then holding the Volume-Down button and then the Power button.
Heads Up : If you see a USB error message, ignore it. It comes only if you try to go to Flash or Recovery mode without unplugging the USB cable.
3) Choose Fastboot from the Menu
4) Connect USB cable, if you have not already done it.
5) From a Terminal window on your Mac :
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-endeavoru.img
./fastboot-mac erase cache
6) Done. You have installed a modified Recovery image. Do your happy dance !!!
Third : Rooting
1) Copy the SuperSU zip to the top folder of your Internal storage.
2) Reboot to Fastboot, only this time select “Recovery” instead of “Fastboot”. You will see the HTC logo briefly and then presented with the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.
Remember, you navigate with the Volume-Up and Volume-Down buttons and select/choose with the Power button.
3) Select “Install from zip”
4) The Select “Choose zip from SD Card”
5) Browse to your SuperSU.zip file
6) Select it and install it.
7) Done. Keep “Go Back”ing till you see “Reboot”.
8) Ensure you have successfully Rooted by opening Titanium backup App. Previously it would have given an error that “your device does not support root”. Now it will open without the error.
9) Done. Do the Happy dance again.
Fourth : Flashing the Android Revolution HD ROM
Things don’t get easier than this.
1) Copy the Android Revolution HD ROM zip file to the top folder of your Internal storage
2) Reboot into Recover mode
3) Select “Install from zip”
4) Select “Choose zip from SD card”
5) Browse to the location of your ROM zip file
6) Select the ROM and proceed to install it.
8) Done. Do a very vigorous version of the Happy Dance !!!
Fifth : The AROMA installer
I gotta admit. The AROMA installer’s lack of touchscreen support did make all 3 minutes of my life miserable.
But after I figured out the sequence of Volume Up/Down buttons to navigate, it was fairly straightforward.
But other than that everything works !! I know, I’m using it.
Well.. The Sense 5 Toolbox did not work. I was getting an error about not installing the “Xposed Framework” properly.
So, here is the link that will help you to resolve the Sense 5 Toolbox issue :
That’s it then !! Enjoy the Android Revolution HD experience. And remember to restore your backups from Titanium or SuperBackup.
Extra Resources :