Oracle OpenSolaris 11 Express Released
November 17, 2010
On November 15th, Oracle, the new owner of Solaris, announced the availability of Oracle Solaris Express 2010.11
This new release has a considerable number of features which were not present in either OpenSolaris (understandably) as well as Oracle Solaris 10.
Some of these key features are :
- Networking virtualization and resource management capabilities that increase throughput, speed up applications, and reduce network loads and complexity.
- ZFS enhancements for file and block de-duplication, encryption and provisioning.
- Fast Reboot, which allows customers to recover systems and databases in tens of seconds verses tens of minutes.
- Leading edge patching, upgrade and installation capabilities designed to reduce risk and greatly simplify the most common system administrator tasks.
- A built in snapshot facility that always keeps a backup of the system boot image and allows customers to revert back to the old version with a simple reboot.
For more details on this release, check-out the official Oracle Solaris Express 11 page here